Sunday, December 21, 2008

Reason for the Season

I started reflecting about the past month in my life and practice today, trying to decide whether I am beginning to emerge from my professional funk. It would be easy for me to tell you about how I represent the best of people and the worst of people. The former group is often composed of those seemingly unworthy of my misplaced mercy, a cast of unlikely gems that, on the surface of things, probably should be automatically cast the latter category. It would be easy for me to tell you about how no matter how much I work or how positive the outcome, the perception remains that the wheels of justice turn too slowly and the cost of my services, even if the client spends $1500 to recover $60000, is always too high. It would be easy for me to tell you how my integrity is automatically in question in almost every interaction thanks to the existing stereotypes about my profession. It would be easy for me to compose a bitter diatribe about how the practice of law is a jealous mistress, a curious hobby, particularly when I know in less than twenty-four hours, I will hopefully have my final and assuredly painful encounter with one of the leading contenders in the latter category.

Yet, this week is Christmas, the perfect time of year to remind myself that regardless of how poetic my problems may be, the reality remains: The story isn’t about me. I have the privilege of choosing my attitude, and at least this week, I choose thankfulness. I may not always like what I do for a living, but I am living my personal life surrounded by the very best of people. Enjoy some new photos of a only a few of my Christmas blessings…

Joshua, his brother, Ethan, and our friend, Brad, play a little Guitar Hero World Tour. I like how interested Ethan's wife, K.J., seems in the background. Notice the littany of dog toys on the floor. Lisa and Brad brought Christmas presents for the dachshunds. Alvin spent the entire evening tearing the rubber toys into tiny pieces. We did not think he was actually eating the pieces....until very, very early this morning. I can confirm, however, he did eat much of the rubber toy.

Another angle of our little rock band....My best pal, Lisa, and I enjoy some very watered down margaritas at the Tulsa State Fair

Mom and my cousin's wife, Stacey
My cousin, John Robert, and Dad

Aunt June and Mom

This picture epitomizes the relationship between my husband and my little sister. Classic.

My cousin, Jordan, gives Mom a hug...

Joshua and Jordan out on my parent's deck. Notice Joshua's Tapout T-Shirt....Meme called it a Satan shirt, and we've referred to it as such ever since. It is a little scary...

Mom always says that her arms are happiest when they are around both of her girls....

My Aunt Sissy and Uncle Preston...

Grillmasters. Probably a small black dachshund named Gus is nosing around underneath the grill, eager for drippings....

Mom and her sister, my Aunt Sissy (a.k.a. Julie)

Meme and my cousin, Morganne


Jordan and Emily.....Can you tell they are related? Seriously?!? Look at those noses....

No comments: