Sunday, January 6, 2008

Welcome to The Bristow Blog!

Karibu!

Welcome to The Bristow Blog at
http://karibubristow.blogspot.com! This past year, my family had the opportunity to purchase my grandfather’s farm in Bristow, Oklahoma, a red brick house surrounded by approximately 240 acres of family-owned land located about seven miles from my small town law practice. Following my grandfather’s passing, his house remained in need of some repairs, its white paint exposed to the elements atop the hill and the structure and its surrounding yard neglected by its subsequent owner. When we were presented with the opportunity to re-acquire the property, the property seemed only a shadow of its former self, no longer the dream home my grandmother envisioned but enjoyed for only a brief time before her passing. Even though it probably did not make much sense to friends and family, we made an emotional purchase and committed our family to the resurrection of the site for financial growth and fellowship for our family and fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.

Although our family lived in Broken Arrow during my life, my father has remained deeply connected to his hometown, Bristow, Oklahoma, and the family farm, located about seven miles north on Oklahoma Highway 48. After living in the farm house for about only about a month, my husband and I have likewise gained an appreciation for this special place. We moved to the farm from mid-town Tulsa where traffic, sirens, and felonious neighbors distracted us from the beauty of God’s creation. Since we moved, I have seen the sun rise almost every morning. The sunsets are equally magnificent. I have never seen so many stars in my entire life. I hear my wind chimes and feel the breeze on the hill. Today, we watched a red-tailed hawk peruse the property, gliding casually just underneath the clouds.


Life in the county, however, will certainly not always be quite so poetic. Spring is undoubtedly on its way when we will spend every free moment mowing, weed-eating, painting, and planting in the Oklahoma sun. This weblog is intended to chronicle our little labor of love and keep our family posted on new developments at our farm and in the surrounding metropolis of Bristow, Oklahoma. Read, enjoy, and post your comments!

No comments: