Sunday, March 8, 2009

Heifer in the Hay Ring

This is Sophie. She is an adventurous punk with a propensity for getting herself into trouble. Needless to say, she is my favorite. She is also an enthusiastic eater, trying to munch on Joshua’s pants occasionally when he goes out to feed the girls in the evening after work. She escaped one day only to make a beeline for the hay bales we had stacked just outside the fence. Joshua walked the fence multiple times, but he could not find any place where she might have escaped. I believe she saw the hay bales, thought “Jackpot!”, and decided she was going to exit her fenced enclosure. Joshua lured her safely back inside the fence...with food. Today, however, her curiosity and love of food got the better of her once again: I looked out our living room window when I woke up this morning, and I swear, I saw Sophie eating out of the hay ring. A little bit later, I looked outside and she was literally inside the hay ring. We have no idea how she managed to trap herself in the hay ring. I suspect she started leaning farther and farther in the hay ring until she squeezed herself right inside. Farmer Joshua had to go rescue our little free spirit! He received slobbery lick with her huge tongue in gratitude.....

After the rescue!
Pre-Rescue Imprisonment. Doesn't she look like trouble? Her inner monologue: "What? I meant to do this."

No comments: